Specialized Professional Training Programs
JMI periodically offers training courses, workshops and specialized seminars to its Master’s students. The training programs focus on practical aspects using modern approaches and techniques to help students apply the acquired knowledge and skills and qualify them for the media job market.
The training is supervised by local, regional and international journalists specialized in all spheres related to journalism and new media. Educational institutions and universities also oversee the programs under academic cooperation agreements with JMI.
The programs cover a diverse array of topics and fields of specialty:
- Economic journalism
- Investigative journalism
- Data journalism
- Video journalism
- Photojournalism for illustrated news stories
- Photography skills
- Narrating radio stories and radio news stories
- Television news stories
- Coverage of daily life issues in the Middle East (television production)
- Building journalists’ legal capacities in covering women’s affairs.
- Safety and security of journalists.
- Statistics for journalists
- Introduction to the art of debating
- Women and the media
- News production, managing multi-platform newsrooms and dealing with user-created content.
Postgraduate Training Opportunities (Postgraduate Training & Fellowship Program)
JMI nominates qualified students for training opportunities at regional and international news establishments immediately after graduation, so they can hone the skills acquired in the MA program and apply them in a professional environment. The training opportunities program is based on merit and hard work at institutions where trainees are familiarized with practices of the highest professional and ethical standards.
As of the end of 2019, 54 students - or 22% of the total JMI graduates – participated in the fellowship program at the following establishments:
- Agence France-Presse (AFP) in Paris, France.
- Deutsche Welle (DW) in Berlin, Germany.
- Spanish News Agency (EFE) in Cairo, Egypt.
- Al Arabiya News Channel in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- CNN Arabic in Dubai, UAE.
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication in New Delhi, India.
- Arabic Al Jazeera Channel in Ramallah, Palestine.
- Arabic Al Jazeera Channel in Doha, Qatar.
- Women’s News in Washington, US.
- Film and Television Institute in Maharashtra, India.
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute in Kolkata, India
- Reuters Institute at the University of Oxford, UK
- Oxfam International in Amman, Jordan.
- Danish Institute Against Torture (DIGNITY) in Amman, Jordan
- Dubai International Film Festival, UAE
- Economic & Social Council in Amman, Jordan
- Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi, India